April 20, 2012

LSL {Foodie Friday} - Greek Salad Sandwich


Summer is quickly approaching. This makes me very happy and a little anxious at the very same time. Happy for the fact that I love the warm weather and am a creature of the sun. I love sitting outside while sporting tank tops and being in a pool or lake, don't even get me started; it's my happy place. But, then again with all that warm weather and pool hopping, it inevitably means bikini season. I have some work to do because I'm still carrying my winter weight and my love of pasta is not going anywhere. This Foodie Friday I thought I would kick start my bikini/eating right habits and hope that my workouts will soon follow. (And by 'hope' I mean I am forcing myself to start going to the gym soon and liking it.) ;)

Greek Salad Sandwich
by Martha Rose Shulman, “The Very Best Recipes for Health
{via NY Times}
Yields: Two sandwiches

Ingredients –
2 tomatoes, ripe but firm – 1 thinly sliced, 1 cut in small dice
2 ounces cucumber, thinly sliced
2 ounces green pepper (about 1/2 small pepper), seeded and thinly sliced
1 slice red onion, cut in half, rings separated, rinsed and drained (optional)
1 tablespoon crumbled feta (about 1/2 ounce)
1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper (optional)
2 small (3 1/2-inch) whole-wheat English muffins, lightly toasted
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
Dijon mustard (optional)

Directions –
1. In a medium bowl, combine the diced tomato, cucumber, green pepper, onion, feta and mint. Toss with the vinegar and olive oil. Season if desired with salt and pepper.
2. Spread the bottom half of an English muffin with half the mayonnaise. Layer half of the sliced tomato on top. Top with half the Greek salad mixture. Spread the top half of an English muffin with mustard if desired, and place on top of the salad. Press down, cut in half and serve

And if you would like the know the healthy nutritional information of this sando, go here. And if you are interested in more recipes by Miss Shulman, you can find her book, here.

What is your favorite time of year? Do you equally love and hate bikini season too? And when I talk wearing a bikini, it's usually paired with shorts or a long maxi sun dress, and maybe topped with a bathing suit cover. As much as I want to be friends with the bikini, we don't exactly see eye to eye. Ha

Bon Appetit and Happy Weekend!


xo,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...