September 28, 2012

LSL {Foodie Friday} - Pasta, Pasta

Yes, you got that right. It's another pasta dish made by yours truly, for this lovely Foodie Friday. This dish was first inspired by having dinner at a friends house, then modified slightly by me. It's something that I like to cook for myself during the week because it makes delicious left overs for work lunches. And it's also very cost-effective, something that I also love. 

This dish doesn't have a name, so I have come to call it as "Pasta, Pasta." I also feel so authentically Italian, when I say it with my pretend Italian accent and wild hand gestures.

via - My iPhone
Pasta, Pasta
{via moi}
Serves 4

Ingredients: (this list is based on what I did, you can easily modify to add or lessen any of the quantity to your choosing)
1 yellow onion
6 button mushrooms
1 zucchini
2 or 3 Aidells Chicken Apple sausages
3 cups GF pasta
grated Parmesan cheese
small bushel of basil
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Put the water on the stove and heat to high, for the pasta. Bring to a boil.
2. While the water is heating, chop onions, mushrooms, and sausage. Add onions and mushrooms to skillet, with a little olive oil and heat on medium heat. When onions are almost golden and mushrooms almost all the way cooked, (after a few mins) add sausages. Keep stirring so that all are getting equally cooked.
3. Tear off about 10-15 leaves of basil (more or less depending on your love of basil) and using your cooking shears, cut into small strips or just cut into small pieces. Put aside.
4. Water should be at boil by now, add pasta and cook to time on the box. 
5. If pasta has to cook for 10 minutes, add zucchini to the skillet with mushrooms, onions and sausage after about five minutes, letting the zucchini only cook a short amount of time so that they are crisp when added to pasta.
6. Once pasta is done, strain and pour back into pot. Add contents of skillet and stir like a crazy lady, getting it all mixed together. I tend to keep the pot on a very low heat just to keep everything extra hot.
7. Add a some grated parmesan cheese to the pot, keep stirring.
8. Once all mixed up and warm, pour into individual bowls, add basil then top with a little more parm for good measure. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. If making extra for left-overs do not add basil until ready to eat again, it will wilt and not taste as good once reheated.
10. Most important step! Open some wine and enjoy!

The during step. Don't mind my messy cooking
via - My iPhone
The after, UP close and personal. Yum!
via - My iPhone
What are you all having for dinner? Do you ever experiment with what you have on hand at home? I think my new favorite thing is to go to the farmers' market on Sunday, buy what looks good, and what will semi go together and then figure it all out by what I'm craving at the time. Next up I think I am going to do a Mediterranean version of this pasta. I'm thinking kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, grilled chicken, some balsamic vinegar... We'll see. 

Bon Appetit and Happy Weekend!

xo,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...