September 16, 2011

LSL {Foodie Friday} - Caprese Salad Bites

I'll admit it, I am slightly obsessed with making and eating caprese salad. I think I have had it about four nights this week and I am not even tired of it. (Even the roommate has noticed my slight addiction to it, hope she doesn't check me in to some sort of 12-step program.) I. just. can't. stop.


There are many ways of preparing caprese, but the basic ingredients (tomato, mozzarella and basil) all stay the same. Not only is this a delish dish, it's also simple and, bonus, there is absolutely no cooking involved. So, if you are needing a quick bite to eat, or in need of very easy, crowd pleasing appetizer for that BBQ you are going to this weekend, I've got just what you need...


Yup, that's me in action

Finished and party ready!

Caprese Salad Bites
{adapted from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe)

*Makes about 2-3 dozen skewers

1 pint cherry tomatoes, red or yellow
1 bunch basil leaves (about 18-30 leaves, the big ones can be cut in half)

8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese

Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling 
2-3 dozen long toothpicks/skewers

Slice the cherry tomatoes in half so you end up with two half-basketball pieces. Slice the mozzarella into bite-sized chunks. Slide a piece of mozzarella onto the toothpick. Fold a basil leaf in half or thirds and nestle it up next to the mozzarella (large leaves can be cut into halves or even thirds). Slide a tomato onto the bottom of the skewer, cut side down. Move the mozzarella and basil down to meet the tomato if needed. You want the flat side of the tomato to be right at the end of the toothpick so it stands up straight. Place all the finished skewers on a paper plate or tray. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a platter to serve.

Now, pour yourself a nice glass of white wine, (Pinot Grigio if you were me) take it outside and soak up the last few warm days before fall really hits, and enjoy!

Bon appetit!

xo,
L

*Credit - Photo via (my bestie) Liz Lovi

I would say they were a hit.




1 comment:

  1. Lauren, those look amazing! I am making them, for sure. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...