February 24, 2012

LSL {Foodie Friday} - Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

Apparently Mardi Gars and Fat Tuesday are synonymous with Pancake Day. I had no idea that was even a tradition, but I enjoy pancakes from time to time and hopefully you do to. I know I'm a little late in the game for Fat Pancake Tuesday (what I now will be calling it) but only by a few days, so I say, let's makes some pancakes! Most weekend mornings I wake up with a craving of blueberry or banana pancakes and I am not even that big of a flapjack kind of gal. I love a good egg dish and french toast is more my scene. But to honor the Fat Pancake Tuesday, I thought this Food Friday would be as good as any (just pretend it was four days ago!)


I found this very delicious recipe via the fantastic Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman. She has a serious gift in the kitchen. I think this recipe will be a nice twist to the traditional plain pancakes I've made in the past and this one even involves blueberries and lemon. So without futrher ado, today's pancake recipe is Lemon Blueberry Pancakes...





Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
{via Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman}

Prep Time 10 Minutes, Cook Time 10 Minutes
Servings 4

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup Cake Flour
1 Tablespoon (additional) Cake Flour
1/4 teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoon (heaping) Baking Powder
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (more If Needed)
1 whole Lemon (more If Needed)
1 whole Large Egg
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
Zest From 1 Lemon
1 cup Heaping Blueberries
Extra Butter
Maple Or Pancake Syrup

Instructions
1. Heat heavy skillet or grill over medium low heat.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix evaporated milk, juice of 1 lemon (more if lemon isn’t very juicy), and lemon zest. Allow to sit for five minutes, then add egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix to combine.
4. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients. Stir gently to combine. Splash in more evaporated milk if mixture is overly thick. Stir in blueberries. Again, check to make sure mixture isn’t overly thick.
5. Melt butter in heated skillet. Drop batter by 1/4 cup measures and fry pancakes on both sides until golden.
6. Serve with softened butter and warm syrup




Ree also has just published her second cookbook, "Food From My Frontier" that I cannot wait to get my hot little hands on. You can check out her thoughts on the cookbook process as well where to find your own copy, here.

Did you have any fun Mardi Gras/Fat Pancake Tuesday plans? What is your favorite breakfast item to crave on the weekends? Any exciting cooking endeavors you're taking on this weekend?

Bon appetit and happy weekend!

xo,
L

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, those look (and sound) delish! I just might have to give them a try! We tend to gravitate toward French Toast...with powdered sugar :) Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...