February 17, 2012

LSL {Foodie Friday} - Tomato & Basil Soup

As you saw in yesterday's post, I am heading to the snow this weekend. And since I am normally cold in just 68 degree weather, I can imagine that I might actually turn to a ball of ice when dealing with actual freezing temperatures. Good luck to me.

I know I am going to need something to keep me warm and why not enjoy one of my favorite types of comfort food soups, Tomato Basil. While trying to find the perfect Tomato Basil soup recipe I stumbled on to Everyday Occasions, where Jenny's version looks extra delicious and with that, it seems like I will keep from freezing totally to death, at least for this weekend.


Tomato Basil Soup
Ingredients-
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 - 14 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
1 - 14 oz. can of whole tomatoes
2 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup of heavy cream
3 tablespoons of fresh basil, julienned
parmesan cheese

Directions-
In a saucepan, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 1 minute - being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the crushed tomatoes. Add the whole tomatoes one at a time, squeezing them into the pan to break them up.  Add the juice from the whole tomatoes, as well. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook the soup on medium at a simmer for 10 minutes.  

To finish, reduce the heat to low and stir in heavy cream and basil. Serve topped with parmesan cheese or a grilled cheese sando.

What is your favorite go-to to get warm food? Have any delicious soup recipes you would like to share with me? Any fun things planned for this long weekend? Talk to me.

Bon appetit and happy weekend!
xo,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...